Nothing Special, Really

Friday, January 5, 2007

Gadzooks! You Found Me!

Hello.

In all likelihood, you're reading this blog because I've directed you here if you want to read what I have to say. Or you don't want to read what I have to say but feel compelled to read it anyways. It's like in "Private Parts", where they're trying to explain why people who hate Howard Stern listen more than those who do; they want to see what he'll say next. You want to see what I'll say next. Although I can't imagine why. I'm far less interesting or controversial than Howard Stern. And I get less chicks.

Either way, this will be the new home for all my musings about really inconsequential stuff, like bathroom etiquette and the weather in Seattle. Perhaps I'll through in a couple of tantrums about the Suns' recent loss or why I still find it confusing that some people we identify as "Asians" don't like to be called "Oriental". Yes, I know the refrain "Asian is for people, Oriental is for rugs." But you do realize that the area of the world where China, Japan, Taiwan, and others reside is known as The Orient, right? When did this become a racial epithet and why? I'm not trying to be insensitive, I respect one's feelings if they don't like to be called that. But according to Wikipedia, which IMO is the highest authority on knowledge these days, this phenomenon is really only an American cultural thing. It's not a big deal to call someone Oriental in France or Luxembourg or Morocco. Why is that? These are things I want to know. These are things you'll find me talking about.

Or maybe I'll just talk about how big of a whore Britney Spears is, and that the only reason we still talk about her is BECAUSE she is a whore. What has she done in the entertainment industry over the past 3-4 years besides flash her 'gina to the camera and make home movies about the possibility of time travel? A premise of being succesful in the current state of pop music is to take advantage of new singing talents when they're younger, pump out a few generic-sounding catchy songs, and then let them enjoy their millions as they wish while we all move on to the next one. Some get lucky and carve out a nice little career (see: Justin Timberlake) but most we don't really hear from again (see: Debbie Gibson). Why can't Britney follow the latter path? You don't have a career anymore, just go away and let everyone enjoy their Hillary Duffs and their Lindsey Lohans. She can't really believe that everyone's laughing with her, can she?

But, more often than not, this is the place to go just to see how me and ma'lady are doing. These days, we're working on finding a new apartment. You may know this already, but this little town of Seattle got hit pretty harshly by some windstorms, which either included or was followed by that infamous (yet overestimated) Seattle rain. We were one of the lucky ones who didn't lose power, but instead we started losing our apartment like it was made of straw. First, the roof partly fell off, but don't worry, it broke it's fall by landing on my car. I can still drive, but I've got some unsightly scrapes along the roof. Then, the water started seeping in. Our neighbors above us were worse off than we were. While we just got a couple drips, they got a collapsing ceiling. So, they've moved on and the landlord's gutted their apartment for repairs. The water's moved on to us, and we're now living in a unit with a hole in the living room celing, fans blowing the water away, a leaky floor in front of our bathroom, and a machine to suck out the moisture of our apartment. And none of that's working, so we're left to find a new place. But it looks like we've lucked out again, and hopefully by next week, we'll be living in a place that's around the corner from Wac's work and closer to the neighborhood that we love.

Anyways, it's time for lunch. I'm Matt. You stay classy, San Diego.

And thanks for stopping by.

But mostly, stay classy.

(thanks for stopping by)

(stay classy)

3 Comments:

  • You're the best blogger. I'll follow you wherever you go... jk :)

    By Blogger wacarra, At January 9, 2007 at 2:43 PM  

  • you're a funny guy.

    By Blogger Schaubs, At January 19, 2007 at 9:11 AM  

  • In England, an Asian is someone of Indian decent, like Ghandi, just to be clear vs. Native American. So you must wonder what they call somone like me.... it's Chinky. Yes, and I'm not offended. Even more interesting, how come the Oriental thing never bothered me until it really became pc... and now I notice it... that's BS. fuck that. call me what you want, not what society tells you to call me.

    nice one no neck.

    By Blogger Unknown, At January 30, 2007 at 8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home