Nothing Special, Really

Monday, September 15, 2008

Stress Release

I'm trying really, really hard to be unbiased when I discuss politics, but sometimes, I just can't help to get worked up. So, as a bit of a stress release, I offer you the following three words:

Screw Sarah Palin.

(This will be the only time you'll read anything about Sarah Palin on this blog; after this, I'll go back to discussing what's really important in this election.)

I'm sick of her and I'm sick of hearing about her. I'm tired of the McCain campaign deriding Obama as a celebrity yet continuing to bask in the similar attention that Palin has gained. It's amazing how much buzz is created when you pull a relative nobody out of your hat and hand her the VP role. I'm tired of the McCain campaign trotting out the same line about Obama being inexperienced, yet nominating a candidate for VP that they rarely allow to speak freely to the press. I can understand that though, after the last time they let her loose.

During last week's interview with ABC's Charles Gibson, Palin let loose with some interesting comments, including:

In reference to earlier comments that our occupation being a "task from God.", she clarified this point by stating "But the reference there is a repeat of Abraham Lincoln’s words when he said — first, he suggested never presume to know what God’s will is, and I would never presume to know God’s will or to speak God’s words. But what Abraham Lincoln had said, and that’s a repeat in my comments, was let us not pray that God is on our side in a war or any other time, but let us pray that we are on God’s side."

What's remarkable about this is that, according to the context of what she actually said, her comments bear no relation to the what Lincoln said. You can see the whole text of the speech from June here, and I'll freely admit that what she really said is not as frightening as the excerpt that was referenced in the Gibson speech. But, even within context, she is asking that the congregation pray that, in reference to the Iraq War, "that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending out on a task that is from God." Obviously, my religious views are much different than hers, or even the majority of the country for that matter, so I accept that I might be in the minority. However, I can't help but to be appalled that anyone would pray that a war is part of any God's plan. Praying for the safety of troops, praying for a swift resolve to the end of war, praying for protection from terrorists, I completely understand all of that. But to pray that unprovoked attacks and killing Iraqi citizens who do not support another country's plan for what Iraq should be? Consider me disgusted.

Then there is the whole dialogue about the Bush doctrine. I'll admit, if I was posed the same question, I can't say that I would have come up with the correct answer either. But I'm also not a candidate for Vice President. Anyways, here's the unedited transcript:

GIBSON: Do you agree with the Bush doctrine?

PALIN: In what respect, Charlie?

GIBSON: The Bush — well, what do you — what do you interpret it to be?

PALIN: His world view.

GIBSON: No, the Bush doctrine, enunciated September 2002, before the Iraq war.

PALIN: I believe that what President Bush has attempted to do is rid this world of Islamic extremism, terrorists who are hell bent on destroying our nation. There have been blunders along the way, though. There have been mistakes made. And with new leadership, and that’s the beauty of American elections, of course, and democracy, is with new leadership comes opportunity to do things better.

GIBSON: The Bush doctrine, as I understand it, is that we have the right of anticipatory self-defense, that we have the right to a preemptive strike against any other country that we think is going to attack us. Do you agree with that?

I'd love to hear her expand on what she believes those blunders & mistakes to be, but I'm sure the McCain campaign has prevented her from making any such admissions.

Finally, when talking about Palin's experience in foreign relations, she gives us this gem:

GIBSON: Have you ever met a foreign head of state?

PALIN: There in the state of Alaska, our international trade activities bring in many leaders of other countries.

GIBSON: And all governors deal with trade delegations.

PALIN: Right.

GIBSON: Who act at the behest of their governments.

PALIN: Right, right.

GIBSON: I’m talking about somebody who’s a head of state, who can negotiate for that country. Ever met one?

PALIN: I have not and I think if you go back in history and if you ask that question of many vice presidents, they may have the same answer that I just gave you. But, Charlie, again, we’ve got to remember what the desire is in this nation at this time. It is for no more politics as usual and somebody’s big, fat resume maybe that shows decades and decades in that Washington establishment, where, yes, they’ve had opportunities to meet heads of state … these last couple of weeks … it has been overwhelming to me that confirmation of the message that Americans are getting sick and tired of that self-dealing and kind of that closed door, good old boy network that has been the Washington elite.

What? The nation does not desire some with a resume of several decades of experience (and I love how she so simply puts it: "opportunities to meet heads of state") Apparently, we don't want someone who has foreign relations experience, or experience as a diplomat? I read somewhere else that this was supposed to be a jab at Biden, but isn't McCain supposedly the one who's experience makes him most qualified at foreign relations?

Anyways, I just had to get all that out. Suffice it to say that I'm not a fan of Sarah Palin, nor am I a fan of all the attention she's getting. I'm not a fan of how the McCain campaign is keeping her sheltered from the media, and I'm not a fan of how she seems to be doing nothing but spouting off the same refrain that we've heard from every other Republican thus far.

If you haven't guessed by now, when I've made references that my vote is leaning toward one candidate over the other, then I'm sure you can guess now that I'm referring to Obama. I'll get more into that in the next couple of weeks. I don't deny that McCain had some appealing qualities, but the more I learn about his campaign, the less I believe that he represents the values that I believe in. I'm truthful in saying that my decision hasn't yet been made, but I can assure you that his selection of Palin as VP isn't helping his case for obtaining my vote.

1 Comments:

  • McCain's old as hell.

    Statistically, he probably has around a 30% chance of dying in the next 4 years (I am pulling this out of my ass but it can't be that far off, especially considering what his body went through in 'Nam).

    So if you are comfortable with a 30% chance that Palin is running the country sometime in the next 4 years, then go ahead and vote for McCain.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At September 15, 2008 at 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home