Nothing Special, Really

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Nothing Important, Really

I know I haven't written in a while. I've sat here trying to force something, but nothing seems post worthy.

I first started writing about a building that got torn down in First Hill. It was this old brick building that had a faded advertisement for Sprite painted on the back side. I first noticed its absence on Friday when I was walking to work from my Diabetes meeting. I'd always wanted to take a picture of it. I don't know the first thing about what determines artistic photography, but in my mind, this seemed like it would've qualified. I'm not necessarily a big fan of Sprite even, but I was fascinated by this building. The ad must have been 40-50 years old. With so many buildings being torn down to set up even more condos, I loved that this building remained, a capsule of years past, set against the backdrop of Seattle's financial district. But, for the same reason, I should've expected that it would be torn down as well. Because Seattle definitely needs even more condos.

But I didn't want to write about that because I couldn't find anything to say.

Then, I started thinking of a new topic, this idea of mine that I feel like I'm living someone else's life sometimes. I'm the same person I was back in AZ, but I feel like I'm in a completely different life. Obviously, that comes with the territory of moving hundreds of miles away, getting a new job, getting involved in a serious relationship. I still feel like there's something to say there, but I don't quite know what it is yet. It's not that interesting of a topic, really. People move away all the time, they get new jobs, they meet new people. It's really more of a testament of how steady my life was before I moved up here. For 9 years, it was the same job, same friends, same neighborhood. So writing about that seemed like a rehash of similar things I've talked about.

I couldn't think of anything else to write about after that, so then I tried writing about my inability to write. About how I'd been struggling to find that creative outlet lately. When I used to blog on myspace, I was able to find creative ways to blog about a pastrami sandwich. I haven't had a pastrami sandwich worth blogging about lately, so maybe that's part of the problem. But the bigger problem is that I used to look forward to blogging. Not anymore. More often than not, this blog feels like a chore, that I'm only blogging out of obligation to the blog itself.

Then I started thinking about turning this post into an Adaptation-like post, like the movie. It's a great movie - if you haven't seen it yet, don't bother reading the rest of this. You're better off spending your time going to Blockbuster and renting that movie. It's far better than anything I could think of.

Anyways, so I'd turn my blog post into this enormously self-referential story; instead of writing about certain topics, I'll write a post my struggles with writing about those certain topics. I'd talk about how I felt like Susan Orlean, desperately looking for that one thing to be passionate about again. How I wanted to find the passion in writing on my blog again.

But I couldn't remember her name, so I wikipedia'd Adaptation. There, Susan Orlean. But instead of getting back to my blog, I started playing the wikipedia game, where I bounce from one link to another. I looked up info on some of the main characters in the movie - Susan Orlean, John Larouche, Robert McKee. I looked up some of the actors - Tilda Swinton, Judy Greer. Judy Greer then led me to Arrested Development. And that led me to this wonderful site.

www.arresteddevelopment2009.com

Some journalist in Wee Britain started a petition, trying to encourage some network, ANY network, to produce an Arrested Development Christmas Special in 2009. It's be a good way to provide closure, or perhaps revive the sitcom. It's just an internet petition, but if there was ever an internet petition worth signing, this is it. There hasn't been a television program that's even come close to providing as much joy in my life as Arrested Development. That show represented what was good about watching TV. It proved that a TV show, a sitcom, could be hilarious, imaginative, original, and commentative all at once. Better than Seinfeld. Better than The Simpsons. Arrested Development was the greatest TV program EVER. And it ended too soon. Please help bring it back, even if for just one more time.

I'm hungry now. I'm going to go eat some spaghetti.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home