Nothing Special, Really

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

So It Begins

Starting tomorrow, today, whatever. It's 3AM but it's still my Monday.

Starting whenever I wake up later today, I have to stop being lazy. I've put off training for my half-marathon as long as I could, but if I don't start tomorrow, then it's going to be very difficult for me.

I've put it off this long because that's just my nature. I'm unemployed, I'm lazy, and I'd rather spend my time playing poker or Guitar Hero. I'm not proud nor ashamed of that. It's just how I am.

But it's something I want to see change, and it's not going to happen on it's own, so I need to start putting forth the effort. I have been to the gym a couple times the past two weeks (specifically, once each week) and I've already noticed a difference from one day to the next. I'm still in much better shape than I was last year, but I'm not in the condition I was when I ran the St. Patty's Day 5k.

The plan for this week is 3 trips to the gym, ending with a 2 mile run on Saturday. It shouldn't be too hard; I've been there done that. Friday I'll do some sprints to help build up my stamina & endurance.

But from there, I increase the Saturday mileage by one mile each week. By the end of the month, I'll be four miles. On my birthday, I'll have to find time to run 6 miles. By September 20th, 11 miles.

What have I gotten myself into?

......

Yes, I'm still unemployed. I sent out my resume to 3 more companies last week. I redesigned my cover letter, spruced it up a bit, made it sound a bit less standardized.

Of course, I still used the same letter for two of the companies. At least I remembered to change the company in the second letter.

But I forgot to change the position. Fucking shortcuts. Hopefully they won't be confused when they get a letter from me, applying for a position they don't have.

The other company I did a special letter for. I'm really hoping that I can land this job & I'm pulling out all the stops. I took a chance & tried to go the humorous route with the letter because the job posting really emphasized that as being a key requirement for the candidate. They are also in the same industry as Wac, so I had her write a recommendation for me to have her boss send to someone at the company. I also have a former coworker who kinda sorta knows the recruiter there, and hopefully I can bombard them from that angle as well. I don't have anything to lose at this point, right? It's not possible that I can fuck up EVERY job opportunity that comes my way, is it?

Stay tuned.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home