Nothing Special, Really

Monday, July 16, 2007

Hooray! It's Monday!

I got slammed with projects this week. 4 new projects. I really feel like this a make or break time for me. I screw this up, and I'm probably looking for a new job within a couple of months. Pass this test, and I get to keep my job for another couple of months.

That doesn't mean I don't have time to rant, though. It's only 9:30, but I already have a couple of things to rant about.

Today's first rant is about bus riders. Specifically in the Ride-Free area. For those that don't know, the Seattle bus system is pretty fabulous. Plenty of stops, plenty of routes, and timely buses. And, from 6am to 7pm, riding anywhere in downtown is free.

What I see pretty frequently is an abuse of the Ride-Free area, or better put, a general laziness. All the time, I see people get on at one stop, and get off at the NEXT FUCKING STOP! A two block ride, and we're not talking huge blocks either. It's maybe, at best, a 6 minute walk.

I understand, for some, that's a significant walk. If you've got health problems or you're carrying a baby or it's 90 something degrees out or your tranfer bus is going to be at your new stop in less time than it takes to walk, you're exempt from this rant. But I see too many people doing this on a regular basis our of pure laziness. It's 60 something degrees at 8am in the morning, and you can't find it in yourself to walk two blocks? Trust me, I know laziness when I see. We know our own, yet even I am not THAT lazy. It's rediculous.

The other thing that's got me worked up today is people who don't know how to use Microsoft Excel. Not everyone knows how to, and that's OK. My parents probably don't know how to use it, and that's fine, they probably don't need to. The cashier at McDonald's might now, and that's OK.

But how the fuck does someone have an office job these days and not know basic Excel skills? I've already got two requests today to resend a report I ran for someone, but resend it in alpha order. Sort it alphabetically.

Seriously? You can't do this yourself?

Data.
Sort.
Name.
Done.

That's it. It takes more energy to type out the email asking me to do this for you than it does to do it yourself!

I am going to slam my head into my monitor repeatedly now.

3 Comments:

  • I have an office job and don't know how to use excell... I hate my life..

    By Blogger wacarra, At July 17, 2007 at 9:12 AM  

  • It happens to me too - After reading this yesterday and having a chuckle I got called to three different cubes to help with an Excel issue. And don't forget about Outlook - I've never used Outlook before a year ago when we converted and now I'm all of a sudden some Outlook genius all because I know how to change the font on my signature line...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At July 18, 2007 at 8:35 AM  

  • Excel? What's that? :) By the way, can someone help me how to send emails??? I can't find that little thing with the a and the circle around it.

    By Blogger Alan aka RecessRampage, At July 30, 2007 at 1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home