Nothing Special, Really

Monday, January 14, 2008

A Dim Bulb I Am

How to become OCD:

1. In the course of a week, do the following:

- Send out an email with instructions to do something by the wrong date

- Send out another email showing paycheck information for a completely different date than what was requested

- Send out a report to your boss missing the specific information she requested in her email

2. Revise mistakes

3. Save your report three times before sending out new report

4. Add report as attachment to email for boss.

5. Delete attachment, open up report, double check, then resave

6. Add report at attachment again

7. Double check recipients to make sure that your email system didn't magically replace all those that were on the email originally with names of other people in the company

8. Wait 10 seconds & take deep breath

9. Click "send"

10. Spend rest of day worrying that you still made another mistake somehow.

___________________________________________________________________________________

I'm posting this from Google documents, so I apologize in advance if this looks all weird. I have less control over the formatting since my job forces me to bypass Blogger now.

I was getting close to panic mode last week. After we got back from our Christmas "vacation" (quotes used to identify slight sarcasm), we spent most of our free time the next week or so glued to the couch playing Guitar Hero 3. I had played it just a little bit before Christmas, and a lot at Wac's parents house after Christmas (courtesy of her brother-in-law), and in the span of a couple of days I had improved from struggling on Medium to almost ready to start trying Hard.

Then, the pointer finger on my left hand started losing some feeling. Not enough to have an impact on anything important, like picking my nose, but just a bit. I googled this and, apparently, I'm not the only one who's experience something similar from playing GH3 too much. So, I supressed my inner hypochondriac and decided to wait it out.

A week passed, and still, things felt funny. Not worse, but not really better either. So, I figured there was only one solution.

More GH3.

My finger now has feeling again, and I'm back to getting 3 stars on DragonForce. Life is good.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Speaking of Christmas, it was great to see everyone again. Nights like Thursday Night Drinking Night serve as a good reminder that, no matter how far away I am, or how much or little I keep in contact with friends, that anytime I go back home it feels like I never left. (Side note; I forget the name of the bar we went to, I'm sure someone will remind me, but it used to be the old Dos Gringos on University. Thursday Night $2 U-Call-Its. Anything! Even Patron shots! I would KILL to have a bar like that up here. You people are crazy if you don't make that a constant stop on your Thursday nights...well, at least until all the frat boys & sluts find out about it, although it will take a lot to pry them away from their precious Dos. But I digress.) Even spending nearly a week there wasn't enough to spend all of the time I'd like to with friends & family, but I'm glad we made the trip.

That said, I doubt we'll be doing it again.

The next time we spend 2 weeks away from home, it's going to be a "real" vacation. We love you all, but 2 weeks away from our home, making three flights, lugging around all of our & presents (and in some cases, yours too), being unable to resist all of the good but very unhealthy food, is just too much. That doesn't mean we won't return for holidays. It just means some of you will get Thanksgiving, some of you will get Christmas, and in some years, some of you will get neither (unless you come to us, which will always be welcome). And trips won't last more than 5 days. This trip was worth it, especially in my case because it had been over a year since I'd seen many of you, but I think we've learned our lesson this time.

3 Comments:

  • Friends are good. I feel the same way whenever I go back to Japan.

    Too funny about GH3. Um, my finger fell off from playing excessive amounts of GH3, what should I do? Oh right, I'll just play more. :)

    By Blogger Alan aka RecessRampage, At January 14, 2008 at 1:07 PM  

  • haha... or learn to play with just three fingers :)

    I second Matt's sentiment. It was fantastic to see so many of our beloved friends and family members in such a short amount of time.

    By Blogger wacarra, At January 16, 2008 at 7:00 AM  

  • Mamacita's Cantina
    216 E. University

    We had the Tavern, now we have Mamacita's. All things considered, a fair trade.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At January 17, 2008 at 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home