Nothing Special, Really

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Venting

What does it take to get a fucking job in this city?

I got rejected for another job today, once again losing out to "the other guy". At least I learned something in the process. When a company tells you you're a top candidate, and that they're looking to finalize the hiring process mid-week, yet you don't hear from them at all that week, it's because they're finalizing the fucking process with someone else.

I've become desperate enough that I'm applying for jobs that are several dollars below what I was making at my last job. I've broadened my search to include jobs that might take up to an hour to commute to and\or put me back in the area of HR that I was trying to escape from to begin with.

I do have another interview on Tuesday. It's not the best opportunity, but at this point, any position will be better than being off unemployment benefits, which will happen in just barely over a month.

I don't know what else I can do at this point. I'm a week past 5 months of unemployment. I can't make plans for Christmas or pretty much anything else in my life because I don't even know if I'm going to have a paycheck in a month. I've resorted to utilizing my fucking credit cards again just to make sure that I have a little bit of financial flexibility, especially considering I have car registration due this month.

I know what I'm trying to do is tough. I'm competing with candidates who probably have a bit more experience than I do. I've never carried the job title that I'm often applying for, and I sometimes lack experience in one aspect of the job, yet I have to try and convince these companies that the experience and skills that I have still make me a fit for the job. I've nearly done that the past two times yet I'm still finishing behind those who have maybe just a bit more experience than I do. Yet if I try to apply for jobs that may not be as competitive, I either sacrifice too much in terms of compensation, or I end up in jobs where I know I'll be unhappy, or jobs that will stifle my ability to move up in my career.

I'm 30 fucking years old with a college degree and anywhere from 3-10 years of relevant experience. I shouldn't have to resort to some fucking entry level job making $15 an hour doing bullshit administrative work. Yet that's what I feel like I have to resort to, otherwise I'll be stuck with no job and no paycheck come November 11th.

This all just fucking blows.

(end rant)

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home