Nothing Special, Really

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Road Trip, Part 2

Tuesday, April 22nd
The Long Ass Drive

It's 5:00am. My alarm is going off. I haven't been up this early in years. But I'm wide awake, because if I want to be in San Francisco by 7pm, we've got to leave in a half hour.

The easy way to get to San Francisco from Seaside, Oregon, is to drive over to I-5 and take that most of the way. We chose the longer route - straight down the Oregon Coast and through the California Redwoods.

By 6:45am we had made it to Tillamook, home of the cheese by the same name. Of course, it was too early to do a tour, so we'd have to pass on those cheese curds that came highly recommended by the cranky lady.

By 2:30pm, we made it to the OR\CA border, about 45 minutes behind schedule, thanks to stops at Safeway and Dairy Queen (and numerous photo\bathroom opportunities). But it was worth it to make such a scenic drive:



















































So it's 3pm, we're finally in California, the sun is finally out, and I've been up since 5am. And surprisingly, I'm not that tired. We keep trucking, driving through the redwoods (no pictures, just movies - more on that later). We get to Eureka, which I remembered to be an interesting town when I drove through two years ago. Back then, it was foggy and gloomy and seemed like a decent little coastal town. But at 4:30pm, in the bright sunlight, it looked more like Meth Capital, USA.

About an hour later, I start flipping out with excitement because of a sign pointing to this:
















The Drive Thru Tree! I've wanted to do this since I was a little kid, so we drove about 10 minutes off the path, paid the $5, and drove through the tree.

Honestly, it was a bit overrated.

Once back on the 101, we headed back towards San Francisco, finally arriving at 8:30pm, 15 hours after we left Seaside, OR. We ordered some Thai food, unpacked our clothes, and fell asleep watching "So I Married An Axe Murderer". A good way to end a long fucking day, and a good preparation for the next two days in San Francisco.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home